Thursday, April 29, 2010

Snow Child

When I was first reading this short story I was thinking to myself, okay this is another Snow White fairytale, raven hair, white as snow, until I got to the lower paragraphs, stopped and went, what! Did I read that right? So, I re-read and re-read and then read the story to my boyfriend just to make sure…did he really just have sex with a child’s corpse. That’s when my boyfriend proceeded to ask me, “what kind of sick stories are you reading,” to which I replied, only the best! Anyway back to the story, I decided I had to look into this story further and I am glad I did. While reading the story I did not pick up on all the symbolism and metaphors the story has to offer. But after delving deeper into my research, Snow Child made a bit more sense. The undertones of the story are more towards men's sexual desires, with men treating women like nothing more than sexual objects and mere possessions. Interesting read after you do some research on the author and story.

No comments:

Post a Comment