Saturday, May 1, 2010

Subtle Knife

I read Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman, which is the second book in his Dark Materials Trilogy. This book definitely has much more of the religious undertones than the first book, The Golden Compass but it still did not bother me, just adds to the story. While reading this book at first, I was confused to who is this Will person, what world are we in but then things starting making more sense. I really do value and like how Pullman makes Lyra and Will both such strong characters since they are children. Although, I wasn’t, as impressed with this version like I was with the Golden Compass, for a fantasy novel it did not have the same detail and fantasy qualities I was looking for in this book like that of which I found in the Golden Compass. I could really put myself into the Golden Compass and in the Subtle Knife I didn't find myself doing that. I think it was just to much like our own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment